Friday, October 23, 2009

My Old New Home



My husband, Vincent, and I purchased a beautiful old colonial in the town of Rutherford, NJ. It's completely gutted and although we are renovating it, I would like to stay true to some of it's old character.

I believe it to have been built in the 1940's or 1950's, making it a Colonial Revival, with its 3 stories with living areas on the first floor and bedrooms on the upper floors. It also has wood siding, simple, classical detailing, paneled doors with sidelights and a center entry-hall floor plan.
I now have the daunting task of picking out all new EVERYTHING. Since it's completely gutted, I have the privilege and challenge of choosing everything from floors to toilets! Although Vinny and I agree on a lot of big things, our opposing tastes make this a bit difficult.
One thing I'm sure of is that I'm keeping the beautiful banisters on the stairs which you can see as soon as you enter the home. They practically yell "I have witnessed more good-bye kisses and joyful 'honey, I'm home''s than you will ever imagine."

1 comment:

  1. Hello, How do I get in touch with you? There is no email or contact info listed .. please advise .. thanks .. Mary. Please contact me maryregency at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete